Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
"Our bikes were stolen from our back yard!"
"My bike was stolen from my garage."
"My girlfriend's bike was stolen from our storage unit."

OMG the tales of woe from people who have had their bikes stolen just sitting in a garage or back yard. One NextDoor posting said, "My beloved Bianchi was stolen from my side yard...."

Well, if it was so "beloved," why did you leave it unlocked in your back yard? During a pandemic crime spike? IN OAKLAND?!!!!

Please people, get a clue!

And there is no such thing as "a bike too nice to lock!" I'm SO SICK of hearing arrogant cyclists with their "really, really nice bikes" saying theirs is ABOVE locking up, it's just so nice. "I never leave it anywhere!" they say. Really? You sleep with it? Bring it into your office at work? Commute to and from work with your carbon race bike, even though you commute on another bike? Wow, that I'd LOVE to see.

No, bikes are left sitting. This is reality. There is no bike "too nice to lock." The nicer the bike, the better the lock you should be using. Lock your garages and then lock your bikes IN the garage. And if you're like me with about 15 bikes in the garage averaging about three grand each,

And yes, a lot of stolen bikes WERE locked, and often with quality locks. I know even the best locks are quickly defeated by today's portable angle grinders. The exception? Allmax security chains and Squire padlocks. They sell some HUGE ****ers that are indeed grinder proof. But at $750 and 60 pounds, they aren't something to bring to the cafe!

University metallurgists in the UK developed "Proteus," a supposedly grinder-proof ceramic composite. They are letting some security companies work with the material, so let's hope some new bike locks are forthcoming.

In the mean time, make your bikes hard to steal. Don't make yourself an easy target.
with that many bikes in your garage, someone saw a gold mine and you are now a target. They will probably be back for more bikes and thief’s will always find a way if they want it bad enough.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-23-20 at 07:03 PM.