Old 05-04-21, 10:45 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I don't get Ineos' GC strategy here. Of their GC big guns, only Bernal is riding the Giro, and he has to be a question mark with his back problems. Sivakov looks to be their plan B.

But that leaves Yates, Thomas, Carapaz, and Hart all riding the Tour? That would be Yates and Thomas leading, with Carapaz, Hart, and Dennis, all as domestiques? Or is one of those sitting both out and saving for the Vuelta? If they are saving out (who, Carapaz? Hart?) for the Vuelta, you'd think they'd also send them to the Giro?
Can't remember now where I heard it or exactly how it went - I think it was two announcers talking about teams during some race recently. Anyway it was about sponsorship and how one sponsor, when told of a particular rider winning a stage in The Tour the sponsor then asked if that rider had won the tour. So there's that disconnect between the public and fans - I just got into this maybe 5 years ago and only really knew of the tour de france. With so much money on the line, Brailsford is sweating especially after this recent doping scandal plus last year's calamitous implosion.

So yeah, I think Ineos is going all in take no prisoners. Just look at Porte getting signed - I bet that was some big money. Then Martinez added on.