Old 06-21-21, 03:59 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I have a 46/30 X 11-36 9 speed.
I'm mostly riding in the 46 ring, but i want understand , how do i learn\figuire out the gearing, to shift in a way, so there is list difference in the gears and cadence.
I feel like i have to go in the small ring sometimes up front, and shift down to smaller cog in the back, for lesser difference in cadence, so i want to know , to shift in way, with least difference in cadence.

Is their some sort of reference chart i can look at ?
I also like the Dirk Feeken’s calculator. It’s fairly easy to see how the gears work together. Here’s your gearing with the MPH over the gear combinations. At a given cadence, match the speed and you’ll see which gear you should shift to to maintain speed and cadence. Remember that when you shift, you are usually changing speed anyway. So, for example, if you were riding in the 40/21 gear at 90 rpm and downshifted to the 24 on the back, you’d lose about 2 MPH. If you downshift on the front, you’ll lose 4 MPH which will feel a more jarring than the 2MPH transition. If you upshift one gear, the transition is similar to the 40/24 gear that you would end up with on just a rear cassette shift. This, of course, necessitates a double shift if you go that route. It’s a bit more fiddly because of the large difference between the outer and inner ring. You can play with the gearing to see if there is a better combination that doesn’t result in quite as large a transition.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!