Old 07-12-21, 04:03 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Haven't posted in a while but I had about a 2 week run where I just felt flat, and power is way down right now. I took a 7 day rest period and I think it helped, we'll see tomorrow.

BWR is next week and I have a laundry list of mental reasons not to do it; crashing twice in the first 30 miles doing gravel (both over the bars), hardly riding gravel after, not being able to descend quickly on gravel because of point 1, and the fact that I'll be nowhere near the front.

I just can't get excited for events where thousands participate and there's no chance of winning, and I really can't get excited for one I may finish in the back. I did that for years and while I pat myself on the back for not quitting, getting that feeling that everyone is laughing at you because you're awful isn't something I care to revisit...
Are you already signed up? You should go and just have fun with it. Even at my fittest, I had no chance of winning, and everyone passed me like I was standing still in the dirt (I hit the first dirt segment maybe 30th wheel in 2019). This year, I'm doing it on my dumb, slow, frankengravel bike. It weighs like 30 lbs and is made of noodly steel, and spins out at like 26 mph. I'm doing the wafer distance and going party/endurance pace, probably stopping at most of the rest stops, and just aiming to have a blast before, during, and after. Not every event has to be about performance, sometimes it's fun to just get out with a bunch of likeminded folks doing the sport we love.

Here's the frankenbike:

Likes For wktmeow: