View Single Post
Old 07-16-21, 04:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I find this forum useful from time to time for the following general topics:

1. I find value in near-miss reports with enough information that I can think about how it might happen to me and how I could either avoid a collision or mitigate the impact. Posts like Tailgating bicyclist. - Bike Forums

2. I try to positively influence the infrastructure and cycling experience in my area. Being able to network the experience of others is helpful. Posts like Anyone volunteer at a bike collective? - Bike Forums network BF member's experience.

3. Effective use of equipment such as mirrors, helmets, clothing and lights are good topics. There are a lot of different opinions but that’s good for me… I can get some viewpoints that I wouldn’t otherwise consider, and in several cases I’ve changed my behavior.

4. There is a lot of variability in laws across jurisdictions. Though the Venn Diagram overlap of “law” and “safety” is not huge, I find I learn a lot from these discussions. Posts like Missouri Dangerous Dog Law - Bike Forums can be interesting when it is clear what jurisdiction is applicable.

Unfortunately, there is generally no good way to get reliable, useful information out of press reports of cyclist fatalities or injuries. My local press rarely includes enough information to allow me to improve my road strategy. I don’t find speculation useful, and it is rare that the “final result” is available and is the subject of a post on A&S.

For me, the positives of this forum warrant ignoring the negatives.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I think the stuff you're ignoring (sensibly) is driving all that stuff out.I also think the kinds of discussions you're talking about are getting hijacked by people who seem to want every discussion to be about bad drivers victimizing everyone.