View Single Post
Old 07-18-21, 04:49 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
Meniscus tear here as well, running induced. I felt the tear on a run and limped back to the gym. I was 40 at the time. Chose to scope it because it didn’t seem like rehab was going to work. Now I fully admit I was impatient and wanted to get back on the road so who knows if rehab may have worked. Fast forward almost 30 years, I’ll be 70 in November. By the time 50 rolled around my running days were over, it is a self selecting sport after all. Went back to the gym and started to to row on an erg and pretty much stayed in that mode till COVID hit. I had a 12 year old entry level hybrid only used summers and just very casually. Had the bike tuned and started to ride, 5-8 miles at first but now pretty comfortable with 20+ rides 3 or more times a week. Waiting on a new Trek that I hope to have before winter shows up here in New England. I have really fallen for cycling and have been pushing myself with both speed and fitness being goals. I have arthritis in both knees and have been putting off replacement surgery. Cycling seems to be helping and at this point I’m just grateful to be able to do what I can do. On this heavy old cruiser of a bike I am able to get 13-15 mph average on a 21 mile loop I ride on a bike path here on Cape Cod and have shaved close 20 mins off my ride since May. So much of all this is attitude for me. Just keep moving forward and stay present, what happened yesterday and what may happen tomorrow aren’t important. You’ve already taken the toughest step, the first one.
good luck and let us know how you’re making out
JTMav