View Single Post
Old 07-23-21, 04:08 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

​​​​looking great!

thank you for the response

no need for spindle measurement; they are marked clearly in centre section with a three digit number which indicates model/size

---

seeing the silver finish cogs on there reminds me that you said it came with a Maeda gear block with a 34T large cog

one can only wonder what someone must have been thinking to pair this with a Juy AR637 rear mech...no wonder they broke two pulleys

amazing the mech body survived...

---

see you changed pedals from Lyotard 36 to Lyotard 460D

---

in this image can be seen some markings on the drive side of the seat tube - does it look like they were put in by a licensing agency?

if the cycle were licensed when purchased new in 1975 it would have been a municipal license (Berkeley?)

the blue and silver California license transfer visible on the seat tube is something which came in during 1977 when the state went to a statewide licensing system for bicycles - individual municipalities did their bicycle licensing on behalf of the state in this system

​​​
it appears someone may have put the ALGI seat binder nut on backwards; if the side facing the brake hanger is concave it is on backwards

-----
Markings on the seat tube below the post: I figured that was a serial number. It's really difficult for me to read. Possibly it was added by the licensing agency....

Re the 34t freewheel: Surprisingly, it was able to handle the 34t cog! Note that the rear mech is not the short cage variety. I think verktyg may have refered to it as a medium length/GT cage. The problem is that when in the 2nd largest cog, the cage catches on the large cog.

Pedals: Pedals are actually the same. I just removed the reflectors and cleaned, de-rusted, and overhauled them.

License: Yes, I was tempted to leave the blue/silver CA license on for sake of provenance but I didn't like how it was applied over the original decals. Thankfully, the bike has a nice clearcoat over everything so the stubborn CA came up without loss of the Peugeot decals.

Binder bolt: Good eye. I'll have closer look at it...

Cheers.

Last edited by gaucho777; 07-23-21 at 04:25 PM.
Likes For gaucho777: