rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,658 Times in 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Have always been a bicycle and car guy. At age 14 I declared my destiny was to work in the bike biz, which I have done for a long time. I also have ASE certification, worked on muscle cars, had a few imports, and one sports car that is completely misunderstood by all the world.
Porsche 914. The 911 guys call it a VW, which it kinda is, the sports car nuts call it a joke, but those of us that have owned one call it a heck of a lot of fun! My neighbor had a 914/6 and I had the lowly 1.8. Without a doubt the /6 is a head turner as it whizzes by a 911 going through the bends. No question in my mind the 914 is the greatest of them all, but misunderstood and underestimated in the /6 format, especially with an upgraded 911 powerplant in it and modified to handle it.
When Porsche fielded the 914-6 GTs and 911s in the major races of the day, the 914s were consistently taking higher places and also winning the majors. Since 911s were considered Porsche’s halo cars and bread and butter, the factory 914s were quickly pulled from all races.

A properly set up and more importantly well driven 911 is fast, but still not as fast as a 914 with the same motor.