View Single Post
Old 02-25-19, 01:30 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I'm basically an all-leather-saddle kind of rider, and have been for many years... but I have ridden too many wet brevets where I just got tired of the combination of wet clothes and a wet saddle. A wet leather saddle doesn't fit the same as a dry one.

So I started using a Cinelli Unicanitor CMX saddle, which is a hard plastic shell with a steel frame, currently available for around $50. The CMX is a little wider than the traditional Unicanitor saddle. Pretty close to a standard B17. [edit: I read online that the Unicanitor CMX measures 27 x 15 cm, which is shorter and narrower than a B17 Standard.]

The plastic in these seems to vary; some are harder than others. I don't know why that is.

I got a blue one last spring, and my first thought was it was too hard, so I cut an "imperial" style hole in the top:

After that I shaved down the top with woodworking tools, and eventually ended up with this:

I put thousands of miles on that saddle, including a 1200 and a 600 and a lot of shorter rides, and was very happy with the saddle, even when it was wet.

So recently I got another one, which (new) looked like this:

Again I've shaved a lot of plastic off the top, completely removing the Cinelli logo... after a while it looked like this:

I haven't decided whether that one will need an 'imperial' cutout.

I'm pretty happy with these generally. They breathe well enough, with the perforations, and they feel pretty much like a leather saddle. As with a leather saddle, I ride them with no padding in my shorts.

There are a lot of older saddles of this kind, some of which are quite good, others not; they are copies of the original Unicanitor, so narrower than the CMX one. I have one that I think is a Unica-Mex (there's no writing on it) and it is quite comfortable. I had an Arius one as well, but the plastic cracked. This isn't my photo, but you get the idea:

Last edited by rhm; 02-27-19 at 07:28 AM.
Likes For rhm: