Old 08-16-22, 06:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
It's a good question, because the time on bike makes a difference.

I once went into a Pearl Izumi store and told the employee I wanted recommendations for some padded bike shorts. He asked, "How far are you riding?" I thought for a second and said, "Usually 20 to 50 miles per week." He seemed a little confused but showed me what he had. After thinking about it later, I realized he needed to know if I spend 5 or 10 minutes at a time on the bike or if I sometimes spend six hours on it. The frequency of my rides is not very relevant.

If you're never on the bike for longer than a half hour or so, you can wear whatever. As duration increases, it gets more important to find some pants or shorts that work well for you.
I regularly ride in cargo shorts and boxers. I'm riding about 225 miles a week, and generally do at least a solo century on Saturdays during biking season. I've done three rides this summer that exceeded135 miles, and they took a lot longer than 6 hours. Not saying you're wrong for you, but these things are not universal.