Old 06-25-20, 07:23 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Dord
Hi all,

I have a Shimano 105 full groupset. I have done some touring and light bikepacking on forest service roads in British Colombia, Canada, and I find myself needing a lower gear for climbing. For those unfamiliar with the terrain here it can be really mountainous, even on the higher trafficked roads, which means that you spend a lot of time going up some steep hills.

I am planning on cycling a portion of the Great Trial, a singletrack route that goes coast to coast in Canada, and I know that there are going to be some serious inclines.

So my question is: what is the easiest way to upgrade my current Shimano 105 groupset so that I can have a wide selection of lower-end gears to help with inclines. If anyone has a similar setup I would love to hear about it.

Thanks
more info please.
bike name, specific crankset and cassette.
quick answer is that a change wont be cheap, and you're going to have to balance out money put out vs perhaps a diff bike, but dont know what you have.
you're up
(but yes, getting lower gearing makes all the difference with enjoying riding in hilly terrain, totally worth it--but to evaluate what to do really depends on all the details of bike etc)