View Single Post
Old 12-03-15, 05:52 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
I realize dopers can finish in the middle third of a "pro" mountain bike race, but, to me, that seems like wasted time and money. If you're going to test, test the top 3 and move on. I don't think someone is going to dope and then intentionally finish 4th for the rest of their life.

I can't even comprehend missing a piss test after a mid-pack finish in a "pro" mountain bike race, let alone getting suspended for it. A friend of mine has offered to fly me out for the Sea Otter XC race, which is about as big as it gets in the US short of the odd WC race at Windham. If they tested ME there, that would be a great microcosm of USAC's problems.

I say "pro" because the barrier to entry to that level in MTB is quite low, BTW.
i take your point. targeted testing seems the best use of limited money, but part of me thinks the "anyone, any race" would cause more disruption in the ranks. if you only test at the big events, then you have people who either just avoid those or figure out how to get the stuff out of their system in time. if you only test the upper categories or pros, then the wannabees know that and get a free ticket.

unfortunately, that approach requires lots of tests and $$. as @gsteinb said, some riders will leave the sport rather than face tacking on an extra hour to a race. (i suspect that # is small, but that's just a guess; if it magically made the sport clean, then i'd be ok with it.)

i think to do it right, somebody's gonna have to pay, and some people are going to be angry -- you're never going to please everyone, so just recognize that and move forward with a plan that they (the organization leaders) believe in. if we're questioning the leadership, well, then, that's another topic. i'm assuming that anyone who bothers to put a plan in place is at least TRYING to do some good.