Old 02-17-21, 08:57 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
Number one is that they ride better and the wheels in general are lighter. Number two, mounting tape makes mounting tires super easy, eliminates the mess, and you can ride them right away. I use Tufo brand tape. The third thing that has come along is that tubeless sealant works great in tubulars and eliminates the concern of having to pitch a tire when you get a flat. I remove the valve core, squirt in about an ounce, put the valve core back in, pump up the tire and away I go. The sealant needs to be added about once a year because it looses its "stuff". Again, easy to do.

Also, good clincher tires cost as much as good tubular tires, but in my view still don't ride as well. I usually buy Veloflex brand tubulars. I mail order them through Lord Gun or Merlyn Cycles.
Funny thing is that the major reason I've been avoiding putting on a set of tubulars has been the low weight; I'm at 190 (and dropping, but never fast enough) currently, so a lot is riding on my tires/rims. I've always felt supremely confident on my clincher wheels and I want to feel the same on these. But damn, this bike is already light - just over 18lbs with a display tubular set of Mavic SSCs/Campy Record. Anyway, once I'm set I'll just start out slowly and get a feel - and carry a spare under the saddle in a sock.

Thanks for the brand suggestions and another vote for tape (which I'm leaning toward) - I hadn't thought about the benefit of being able to ride them right away, too. Good point!

DD