View Single Post
Old 05-10-21, 06:53 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
On Saturday, May 1 I did my first Century ride for the month (on Strava with pictures). That brings my streak to 105 consecutive calendar months with at least one ride of 160.9 km or more.

Besides distance, another goal was to pick up a Veloviewer tile near the main road (Rt18) to Tsuru pass in Yamanashi prefecture.

I love the rural area near Tsuru pass.

Since Tokyo is under a State of Emergency to fight the pandemic while Yamanashi isn't, I passed through Yamanashi without stopping at any shops or restaurants there.

I started the ride late, getting up at 06:00 but not leaving home until 07:40. On the way to the Tamagawa river I was passed by Doug who told me he was on his way to Iriyama pass (between Wada and Akiruno). I had planned to get to Rt18 via Uenohara but thinking about his course reminded me of Musashiitsukaichi and Hinohara from where I could also cross into Yamanashi via Rt33 / Kobu tunnel. That would save me from having to ride Rt20 which isn't anybody's favourite road. So that's what I did.

At the Familymart after Musashiitsukaichi station I stopped for my second breakfast and stocked up for the ride through Yamanashi. I recently discovered some strawberry milk sold in small bottles at Familymart. Think strawberries and creamy milk put into a blender. Very decadent!

Hinohara was teeming with cyclists. I saw many purple flowers of wisteria (fuji) growing on trees in the forest (it clings to trees and can even strangle them). I climbed slowly to the Kobu tunnel. There were far fewer cyclists on the Uenohara side or on Rt18.

Riding towards Tsuru pass and Kosuge village is a bit like time travel. It's a world of old villages and farm houses, remote from the big city.

To collect the tile I had to stay on Rt18 over a local mountain before the pass and then detour to a village on the right. The last couple of times I had shortcut that local climb, staying closer to the river to cut down on climbing. At the village I came across a snake on the road.

After Tsuru pass I was close to the halfway point, but with almost all climbing done for the day. That's always a good feeling.

After Okutama (the end of the local railway line) it started to drizzle. The rain got stronger and I put on my rain gear which I had brought because the forecast had mentioned rain for the evening. At noon it had been around 23 deg C (73F) but in the rain it soon dropped to 13 deg C (55 F). I had not brought my shoe covers, so soon my socks were wet. But at least I was warm enough with the rain trousers and jacket as well as my windbreaker underneath.

The rain continued for about 2 1/2 hours, including my dinner break at Nepalese restaurant Sherpa in Ome.

8 3/4 years of Century a Month complete.
Likes For joewein: