Thread: Cycling shorts
View Single Post
Old 06-06-21, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
My advice would be to buy a good pair of (plain black) bib shorts and try them out.
You can always wear loose shorts over them if you want.
I've just started riding again after a multi-year layoff, so I'm trying to avoid 'saddle sores' and chafing.
As your fitness improves, so will the length of your rides, and problems can arise. If you get a sore spot, you'll probably have to takes some time off the bike for healing.
(BTW, anti-friction products- Sport Shield, Friction Zone, etc. - or 'chamois cream' are useful, no matter what your shorts, IMO.)

For less-expensive: BlackBibs or 'Falconi' bibs from love2pedal would be worth a try.
I've used the love2pedal bibs and they are OK, but nothing near the quality of RedWhite ($130), which are my current favourites.
I also bought some (new) Hincapie bibs on eBay that are well-made and very comfortable.

I tried mountain bike shorts with a liner with padding but they weren't comfortable and I got chafing/saddlesores.
Perhaps they were poor quality (from MEC) but the liner fabric and the chamois/padding was nothing like the 'real' bibshorts.

Everybody is different, so saddles and shorts are in the 'you have to try it for yourself' category for me.

Remember, some of the folks here at BikeForum (not me!) have many many thousands of miles of cycling behind them - and on their behinds!
A**es of steel, probably.
Totally agree on the "try things for yourself" approach . I'm always amused by people who don't ride 1/4 of what I do telling me that this or that item I don't wear is an absolute necessity. I've basically decided that if they don't try to convince me I need it, I won't try to convince them they don't. I figure people are the best experts on what works for them. I do advise newbies who say they're self-conscious about not being "serious" if they find they don't need stuff that that's probably taking marketing nonsense too seriously.