Old 07-28-21, 11:03 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by idk what to say
yesterday i asked a stupid question "why are bikes so expensive" i wanted to know if i should invest in a bike thats top tier or just get a cheap one from craigslist for now. You might have thought i was a troll but i have more important things to do even though I was and still is super bored. so again sorry.
There is a difference between a $500 bike and a $2000 bike. The thing is, unless you get in to cycling in a big way, you may never appreciate the difference. In general, the more expensive a bike gets the lighter it gets, the better it shifts, the better it stops and because the components are of higher quality, the bike will generally operate properly for a longer period of time before needing upgrades and/or tune-ups. If you get the $500 bike, one of two things will likely happen: 1) You will be perfectly happy and you ride the bike for many years. 2) You ride the bike a lot and find annoyances that you may eventually come to realize that you'd happily pay to alleviate. And they you upgrade to a more expensive bike.

If you buy a $2000 bike, the same two things are likely to happen with item 1) being more likely. If you ride enough item 2 happens again and they you're upgrading to a $6000 bike. The other thing that may happen is that you may never truly appreciate how much better the $2000 bike is than the $500 bike.

This happens in pretty much any hobby or interest that I've ever gotten into.
Likes For MattTheHat: