Old 12-01-22, 10:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I'm not going to say that it's impossible that the cables need replacement annually. I was part of the team on an industrial machine where the scanner data cable replacement was a monthly scheduled item due to fatigue.

But there needs to be a very good reason why shifter cables need annual replacement. Like coating them in mud on a daily basis. If it is true, it doesn't speak to me of a well designed product.

And I can say that the Campagnolo Record mechanical group on my Ritchey solo breakaway has not had the cables replaced in the four years since I built it up. Maybe one year of normal use on it and it is just fine.

If they really need cable replacement once a year and you think that is unacceptable, just get Di2 or SRAM wireless, or if they will fit the cockpit, EPS. I know, big bucks there.
I've said it time and time again...it's NOT THE CABLES that really need replacing (unless they're fatiguing and fraying inside the shifter) it's the HOUSING wear that causes deterioration in shifting performance. If you think it's the cables that are the problem and you just replace them it shows just how little you know. If you ride 4-5 days a week you would be doing yourself a favor if you replaced both on an annual basis.
Not well designed? How much better do you think you could do? Let's hear it.