Old 07-08-21, 04:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9

[size=13px]I am one of those people you see out on the roads on two wheels keeping to the right and playing the odds that I will not be hit by a distracted driver or taken out by a speeder towing a trailer. I take those odds because since 1983 when I began switching from running to cycling, I have benefitted greatly in terms of health and wellbeing. Running was great and I was doing well racing with 10k times in the low 30-minute range but stress fractures and disc herniations were sending messages that impact was not my friend as I entered middle age. [/size]

I had a great local doctor who was also a runner and he suggested that when the joints and ligaments began to become an issue I should go to the bicycle. I took that advice in spades. Since I had already made the choice not to use tobacco, alcohol, or weed, I had plenty of money to buy my first high quality racing bicycle in 1994 marked down from $1,800 to $1,000 because it was too small for most riders. At 5’5 and 125 pounds, it fit me perfectly.

I still have that bike, but I have not ridden it in years. My number one bike set me back north of $7,000 in 2013 and my rain bike cost me $5,000 in 2008. Sound like a lot of money? Not really. Try paying for heart surgery or fighting lung cancer. As a person of libertarian mind, I believe people should be able to choose the way they live, and I make no judgements, I just play the odds. Those bikes I invested in have produced returns that exceed anything I may have missed by not drinking, abusing drugs, and smoking. At 74 it’s all right there in my bloodwork; they told me to come back next year.

Shall we get to a deeper point here? Not long ago there were five bike shops within easy driving distance for area residents. Now four of them have closed and the one that is left is having trouble with inventory. I bought them out of road tires this spring. I know I can get stuff off the internet but why are local bike shops disappearing? Could it be because they are considered non-essential? This is an interesting question because the governors of all the states in the country have decided that liquor stores are essential businesses that must be kept going during a global health crisis.

I have scoured all the search engines for information suggesting that liquor stores have contributed to the health of the nation and increased lifespans, but I keep coming up empty. What I have found is that ten percent of the drinkers drink ninety percent of the alcohol and this is the demographic that is likely fighting for space on the roads with me during the current pandemic because they are being paid not to work.

Talk about the best of times and the worst of times. I worked for fifty-five years so I could ride my bike on sparse roads during work hours and now I’m out there with slobs in pickup trucks revving their engines and cutting me off because I am in their way while they are headed to support their favorite essential business in the middle of the day. Thanks to leadership in this country the odds for me just got worse which could explain why I am not seeing too many other bikes out there this year.
Don't know it did that: here it is again:

I am one of those people you see out on the roads on two wheels keeping to the right and playing the odds that I will not be hit by a distracted driver or taken out by a speeder towing a trailer. I take those odds because since 1983 when I began switching from running to cycling, I have benefitted greatly in terms of health and wellbeing. Running was great and I was doing well racing with 10k times in the low 30-minute range but stress fractures and disc herniations were sending messages that impact was not my friend as I entered middle age.

I had a great local doctor who was also a runner and he suggested that when the joints and ligaments began to become an issue I should go to the bicycle. I took that advice in spades. Since I had already made the choice not to use tobacco, alcohol, or weed, I had plenty of money to buy my first high quality racing bicycle in 1994 marked down from $1,800 to $1,000 because it was too small for most riders. At 5’5 and 125 pounds, it fit me perfectly.

I still have that bike, but I have not ridden it in years. My number one bike set me back north of $7,000 in 2013 and my rain bike cost me $5,000 in 2008. Sound like a lot of money? Not really. Try paying for heart surgery or fighting lung cancer. As a person of libertarian mind, I believe people should be able to choose the way they live, and I make no judgements, I just play the odds. Those bikes I invested in have produced returns that exceed anything I may have missed by not drinking, abusing drugs, and smoking. At 74 it’s all right there in my bloodwork; they told me to come back next year.
Third time a charm?

I am one of those people you see out on the roads on two wheels keeping to the right and playing the odds that I will not be hit by a distracted driver or taken out by a speeder towing a trailer. I take those odds because since 1983 when I began switching from running to cycling, I have benefitted greatly in terms of health and wellbeing. Running was great and I was doing well racing with 10k times in the low 30-minute range but stress fractures and disc herniations were sending messages that impact was not my friend as I entered middle age.

Shall we get to a deeper point here? Not long ago there were five bike shops within easy driving distance for area residents. Now four of them have closed and the one that is left is having trouble with inventory. I bought them out of road tires this spring. I know I can get stuff off the internet but why are local bike shops disappearing? Could it be because they are considered non-essential? This is an interesting question because the governors of all the states in the country have decided that liquor stores are essential businesses that must be kept going during a global health crisis.

I have scoured all the search engines for information suggesting that liquor stores have contributed to the health of the nation and increased lifespans, but I keep coming up empty. What I have found is that ten percent of the drinkers drink ninety percent of the alcohol and this is the demographic that is likely fighting for space on the roads with me during the current pandemic because they are being paid not to work.

Talk about the best of times and the worst of times. I worked for fifty-five years so I could ride my bike on sparse roads during work hours and now I’m out there with slobs in pickup trucks revving their engines and cutting me off because I am in their way while they are headed to support their favorite essential business in the middle of the day. Thanks to leadership in this country the odds for me just got worse which could explain why I am not seeing too many other bikes out there this year.
I too like to ride my bike!