Old 05-23-08, 08:46 AM
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh, the one thing I'm good at here, so I'll chime in/reinforce.

1) Don't ask people online to fit you. Get a good fit locally. Correct pedaling mechanics are often going to make you faster than having your position look like Dave Zabriskie's. If you think you can fit yourself, you're probably wrong and probably leaving some power on the table. Get fit by someone who knows what they're doing!

2) Always, always, always ride the power meter/HRM. Like DWJ said, both the data and the pacing information are invaluable.

3) Disc covers should still be legal for non-NRC/national races, so that's the cheapest way to go aero. If you want to blow a lot of $$$ on TTing, here's your shopping list, in order.

-Aerobars ~$75
-Skinsuit ~$75
-Aero Helmet ~$125-$150
-TT Frame - some of the older Aluminum Cervelo's can be had pretty cheap (~$400), and they're great!
-Aero wheels - They help less than you think, but they're still worth it if you have the money to blow. You can go anywhere from a Renn Disc ($500) and a cheap front all the way up to the $3000 Zipps. The $3000 Zipps aren't much faster (and possibly slower, depending on how much you buy into the Tubies are slower than Clinchers debate).
-Everything else - ceramics, etc. Probably not worth it unless you have a very high $/gain threshold.

4) Like everyone's said, don't go out too hard. This is where a power meter can really come in handy.