Old 07-19-21, 01:44 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am a bit younger than some of you, will be 51 this year.
I purchased a Catrike Road for the wife, as she had really bad balance issues at the time. I liked it so much that I took it over and we purchased another Catrike Road. Both of them were well before there was a shock offered on the rear, but I get ahead of myself...

Where we lived at the time was a very rural small town with excellent roads and a lot of good paths within town that made nice even length loops based on what you wanted to do. The ride could be almost completely flat, or throw in a couple of hills if you wanted. They were excellent and we rode and enjoyed them immensely.
After a while the mechanical issues started. The front derailleur was junk, and to top it off was kind of hard to find a decent replacement for given the size of the big chain ring. Microshift IIRC was the only company that offered one that could replace it. The previous one had been discontinued and would have required going to a smaller chain ring. The replacement liked to drop chainrings towards small. It became such an issue on one of the bikes that I opted to remove the cable and lock it on the small chain ring. We had also gotten SRAM internally geared hubs by that point, so there were still plenty of gear inches to use....other things were just bothersome, like head set bushings, and tensioners, such little things that add up.

We moved to a location that, even though cycling is prevalent here, a lot of it has to be out on State Highway. The rolling hills and such led to a couple of situations where we, and particularly me, almost ended up under a car or truck. We tried flags and lights and so forth but one afternoon after having to dive off the road into a ditch I decided that riding on the roads here was no longer an option.
The area has a close by network of very expansive golf cart paths, so we took to riding there. We found that the root heave and other bumps in this pathway were very uncomfortable for the lower back. We considered upgrading to the then new model with the rear shock but decided the expense, limited ride options, and the having to get them up into the bed of a truck or purchase a trailer was more than we wanted to contend with in order to keep riding them what was basically two of the same places.

I sold the pair of them to a couple a few years younger than ourselves who live on a military base and basically got all but a few dollars of what we had in them.

The point being, they are really fun if you have a good place to ride them. Don't expect to get anywhere fast. Don't expect your "riding legs" to be the same. Also, as a complete aside to that, you may have to change your hydration habits. As you may know, when you recline it causes water to be processed out of your system quicker. It took me a minute to figure out that I had to hydrate less before the ride, wait until I had a good sweat built up to start re-hydrating, or you had to find good wooded areas along your route to relieve...a LOT.