View Single Post
Old 09-13-21, 02:06 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
What you might take away from this is that school zones, even those posted with much reduced speed limits, are a place for extreme caution. I live within a 3-4 minute bike ride from a local grade school and if I want to ride south I have to go near it. I try to time my rides to always avoid those time periods when parents are dropping off or picking up their children. It almost seems like there is a sudden drop of about 30 IQ points when some parents get near the school. Parents often park within the turn radius of the corners so their precious child doesn't have to walk an extra 100 feet. They double park, do illegal u-turns without so much of a look in the mirror, and often ignore the posted 15mph speed limit within the school zone (only when children are present). Of course children are very present at these times. I've talked with one of the crossing guards at the school and she says they do stupid, illegal things right in front of her.