BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Seriously--- ?What are you talking about?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BikePower this evening I noticed you are in Florida. While there are a few hills here and there in Florida, especially where qcpmsame resides, they are about as numerous as palm trees are in New Hampshire.

Currently I'm on the Coast of GA about 60 miles north of Jacksonville where it is also very flat. Generally speaking, I'm utilizing two of my rear sprockets shifting only due to the wind direction, or when stopping, at which time I down shift from my 50T chainring to my 42T chainring. 95% of time I ride on my 50T.

My bike is a highly modified '71 Schwinn Super Sport, which is only a wee bit less heavy than the Continental. Also, I'm a big guy at 220lbs.

I'm actually considering swapping my current narrow spaced 6 speed freewheel (which is now 13-32) to something like 15-17-19-21-24-26, just so I can shift more. Even with the change I'll probably use the 19 and 21 the most and occasionally the 17 and 24 depending on the wind direction and speed. The 15 and 26 will see very little use.
Thanks Pastor Bob. Its true not many hills here but we have bridges, many of which have pretty steep inclines. Also we get quite a bit of wind especially around said bridges. Overall I have little use for a granny gear under normal conditions but I want to have it for the cool factor and just to have the capability instead of just wasting the cog on a gear ratio that is not noticeably different than the previous gear. Just please let me do this just once Bob. Just stand with me this one time and help me bring my vision to reality. Thanks