View Single Post
Old 01-28-18, 05:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
At every place where I have worked or attended classes----basically anywhere I would be for long enough not to want to stay in wet cycling clothes--- I used ingenuity to create places to hang my wet stuff (and in a hot humid climate, sweat used to get me every bit as wet as rain.)

Every situation was different. I cannot generalize. I can say that in one factory, I found some room air conditioners that cooled the offices (while the workers sweltered on the factory floor) and I rigged some plastic strapping to dangle stuff in the hot exhaust. Won't work everywhere but it did work there.

Pretty much everywhere I found some way to hang or lay out wet stuff. Stuff like socks (not an issue for me) are best at least laid out, not balled up ... but where? I would suggest each person look around and get very creative. I have never found a place where I couldn't do something besides wear wet clothes or stuff stuff into plastic bags to grow mildew.

Generally, if it is hot (and if I am cycling, I am generating big watts ... of body heat, not leg power,) a wicking T is better than rain gear. I mentioned in another thread a wool sweater (insulates when wet! ) works well.

Cold rain is the killer. Pretty much no way to balance body heat and external moisture .... all the zipped vents, flaps, slits in the world have never worked for me. I went with kayaking gear and washed the sweat off later ... and hung the clothes inside out.

I have a windbreaker/weather shell vest with detachable sleeves ($20 from perfomance bike on sale) which is just awesome. On cold days it blocks the wind, and keeps the heat in, but it has lots of vents.

The sleeves are even better---windproof, waterproof in a shawl design so you don't have to mess with them like armwarmers, but can still wear them without the vest. On days above about 40 i can wear a base layer, a jersey, and the sleeves and be fine.

Summer is not the issue. Early spring and late fall are the killers--IMO.