View Single Post
Old 04-19-22, 01:48 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
They aren't really great for distance though. we have one for parking decks(pretty sure its actual design was for sidewalks). I dont think I would want to ride around a city in it to get to a path.
Wouldn't you just stick one or two on a trailer and drive them to the stretch that needs to be cleaned and pick them up afterward?

Seems the objections to protected bike paths are:
1) Too hard to clean - Seems like a solvable technical issue.
2) I don't like to cycle that way, riding in traffic is OK for me. - Fine, but shouldn't we try to figure out how to get more people cycling, not just make it convenient for us bike nutjobs?
3) Drivers of automobiles will be confused or angry. - Oh, boohoo.

But the big reason for me to have these, as shown in some studies, is that properly designed protected bike lanes reduce cyclist AND pedestrian deaths. And I'm all about reducing chances of my death. The reason appears to be that protected lanes have the secondary effect of calming traffic. Narrower streets make cars drive slower, make slower wider turns, and reduces unsafe driver behavior (i.e. you went from 2 lanes in each direction to 1 lane with a turn lane and projected bike lane unsafe lane changes are nearly eliminated.)