Old 04-21-23, 08:00 AM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I ride a 2016 Giant Defy and I'm a young 60er. I saw a 2019 Specialized Allez which has a more aggressive geometry. I'm thinking of buying her, but I'm trying to be realistic. I didn't starting bicycling until the pandemic, and every year I've gotten faster. I can still hold my own on the bike trail.There isn't a mom with a baby carriage that has ever passed me.This past year I may have peaked. I'm down from four really long rides at a robust speed a week to three. I may have one more year of being able to outrun a dog walker with a 7 leashes.What started this interest was I wanted a 15 pound Carbon Fiber bike, but with my Frugalian nature ,I couldn't justify it.Part of me says you only stay young by thinking young. Buy it! The other side of me says I'm avoiding reality , and that the Allez will turn me into a candidate for spinal fusion.​​​​​​​Do all people in our age group think like this when they buy a bike?
On the fence with this myself. One thought - I may go endurance because of some crappy pavement around here. I'm not going to race in real life, but I find Zwift racing to be a good outlet for going all-out -- Crashing is less an issue there -- and then use the endurance bike for the longer morning and zone 2 rides. Wind in your hair is pretty addicting, but as others point out, it's not a huge drop in speed from race to endurance in terms of speed. Aero is more the question maybe - what position do you like?