View Single Post
Old 06-01-20, 11:51 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
2 to 3 years is instituted by bike shops so they can make more money, even the 5 year rule could be the same thing. I replace my helmet when one of three things happens first, assuming no crash; one is, something breaks; two is, the padding gets worn out; and the third reason is, as the foam first starts to disintegrate it will leave tiny particles stuck onto your sweating head, that's what UV damage and or bodily oils will do eventually, and that's how you now you got to that starting point and it's time to buy another helmet. All long that will take depends on the person and the quality of the helmet, my helmets last an average of 10 years, and I buy helmets around the $80 range (on sale), I think between $70 and $100 is the sweat spot money wise for a helmet.
I use similar criteria when deciding to replace a helmet, and agree with your thoughts about the price of helmets. The new one on the right was $80, and has MIPS technology.

How long a helmet stays effective and comfortable depends on how much it is used, and how it is treated. The scenario below is pretty typical of how my helmets have been used over the last 15 years.

The helmet on the left meets all of your criteria. It is 5 years old and was the same color when new as the helmet on the right. During that time it was used for long bike tours totalling 9558 miles or 9.5 months. A typical day touring is from 5 to 8 hours on the bike, not including stops. That is a lot of sun. It was also used for over 4,000 additional miles of utility, and recreational riding during that 5-year period.

The adjusting mechanism is starting to wear and needs replacing. It is possible to replace it but it is a hassle. The pads are compressed and are coming lose. It has also been treated pretty rough at times, packed in our airline and train luggage, dropped several times, and one crash on an icy patch where I slid along the road on the ice. I could have justified replacing that helmet last year.

I believe the recommendation to replace every 5 years is conservative for a lightly used helmet, but the manufacturers probably err on the conservative side. I think it more for safety, and legal protection rather that greed.

I've had 3 of the same model Giro helmets as the one on the left. They are excellent helmets, but I wanted to go with the MIPS technology this time

Last edited by Doug64; 06-10-20 at 10:43 PM.
Likes For Doug64: