View Single Post
Old 04-23-21, 12:34 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
So, I want to get started in interval training of some fashion. Not trying to race, just to see how far I can take my personal cycling. I know I need to figure my FTP, but I just got my power meter this week. Nothing higher end, just a Stages left side for Shimano 105. Not worried about left/right split, just needs to be consistent enough to see progress.

I am sure I can figure my zones, but how do you actually track interval times? I don't have a dedicated cycling computer, just my phone. Also, I don't own rollers or a trainer of any fashion. So, all tests and training will be outside. I will be getting rollers this year sometime for this winter.

I have a pretty straight and level paved trail that is fairly inactive so I am not to worried about excessive traffic or unnecessary stops. Would it be best to just watch my power meter over a couple weeks worth of rides. Then when into contest just pick a bit higher number for the 20 minute version and try and hold that and gradually increase it until max out? Obviously, at least a few days between these tests to recover and such.

I guess I am mostly looking for a phone app that I can program in intervals for high intensity and recovery periods so I don't have to watch times on a stopwatch. Audio queues for start and end times for intervals through Bluetooth would be an awesome addition as well.
What were you gonna do with your power meter? Any computer or phone app that uses it surely has a lap functionality to track interval times...

I suggest using the Wahoo fitness app, I did that before buying a Wahoo Elemnt. It is very good as an app.