View Single Post
Old 07-22-21, 12:54 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Bike sizing for small riders has been pretty terrible from all manufacturers for quite a while but it did used to be better. Georgina Terry didn't invent small sized bikes and to be honest in my opinion she didn't actually do that good a job.
That's why I referenced a Giant ARX 24 and not Terry bikes.

Vintage bikes for Juveniles/small adults used to have 24" wheels, 140-150mm cranks, 71-72 degree seat tube angles, low bottom brackets and short front centre distances.
Giant KNOW's how to do it, they just don't.
Why?
Well its complicated, and lets not rule out manufacturing economics as a prime reason, yet, overestimating the size of Westerners has to be right up there as well.
I'm a short Western male at 152cm, yet, there are a LOT of Western women in this World the same height or maybe just a fraction taller and this is before we talk about all the Asian heritage people living in the Western World these days.

Bike manufacturers have missed the mark in terms of the size of their customers by a LONG way.
They have really missed the mark badly yet its the realities of manufacturing economics and precedence that gets in the way of fixing anything.
The truth is that there is a HUGE market for "asian" size people in the west that the bike manufacturers just REFUSE to service.
It's head in the sand stuff.
ILU. Will you marry me? Just FYI, I'm solidly west European; Mom was 5'3", so yay me for being taller!

I realize that the brands don't want to carry extra SKUs if they don't have to, but I like to think that if there were more comfortable bikes for women, more would ride, and hopefully demand better infrastructure, encouraging even more people to ride bikes.

Which leads me to a tangent; why aren't the big manufacturers, and even the small ones, advocating for infrastructure for their riders? Or is it easier to just crank out expensive mtbs and gravel bikes? I know, I know, they make more money from selling one $15,000 plastic fred sled than from 12 commuters. Okay, gripe over. :-/
Likes For Korina: