Old 07-25-21, 09:00 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by 6StringJazzer
I don't "need" that pressure. It's the recommended pressure for my tires, which show a max inflation of 160. And what would bigger tires do for me?
160 is the max pressure the manufacturer found that is 'safe'...more and it may blow off or damage the rim. It has NOTHING to do w/ the pressure you'd actually ride the tire at. Bigger tire=more traction, better rim protection, better comfort and very slightly less rolling resistance.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw - past several years, I've been running my fronts approx. 10 psi lower (less diff. w/ the MTB). for example at my last pumping of the road bike I went to 100 rear 90 front. but since they burp when I take the chuck off they are closer to 90/80. these are 25mm tires & I'm approx 225lbs +bike, etc
No, you're not losing any pressure, that air is only coming from the hose, not your tire.
Originally Posted by 6StringJazzer
Thanks for that. For my setup the calculator says 105 psi (slightly different front and rear).

If the carcass is flexing more, doesn't that increase rolling resistance? Comfort is not really an issue.
No, it doesn't...it actually improves it. As posted before a very hard tire will bounce off every little imperfection in the pavement. By definition that is rolling (or bouncing) resistance. Tires are the only suspension on a road bike, you have to let them do that job to a certain degree. There are no negatives to reducing pressure to a reasonable level. Why would you not want any of those things? How do you know comfort is not an issue if you've never tried it? You don't know til you know. And...why are you so worried about speed as a recreational rider? None of these things make sense. And of course, it's free to try. This has been such a hot topic for the last decade I can't imagine how stubborn you'd have to be to totally ignore it.
Likes For cxwrench: