View Single Post
Old 07-27-21, 07:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Schraeder to presta adopters (so you can use a presta pump to inflate schraeder valved tubes) - we used to make them but I cannot for the life of me remember how. (1977. The shop I worked at was a regular early evening stop for a guy named Sheldon Brown: friend of our equally odd mechanic.) My TBI was that fall. I just now remembered that the two of them used to make those adapters. I did too and I made some. Just now remembered I think we used the common presta to Schraeder screw on adapter and an innertube presta valve. Did we use the fully threaded valves and simply screw the adopter onto the innertube end? If that worked, easy, small and light! Going to have to go through my old tubes and find a good candidate.

Oh, the universal name for those adopters in that part of the mid-'70s Boston bike world was the very PinC "damsel in distress" valve or adopter. We carried them to be able to assist women (who in that era were almost all on Schraeder) with flat tires.