Old 08-27-15, 10:33 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
OP - now that this thread has predictably started to devolve and may be at some point locked (RIP cycling ethics thread), if you do decide to race, you need to write a race report AND put it in the race report thread.

it may include some of the following -

-getting the directions wrong and showing up 10 minutes before the start
-pinning your number upside down and being reprimanded by a judge with a very bushy mustache
-forgetting something important like water bottles, shoes, gloves, sunglasses
-you wont forget your helmet because they wont let you race.
-if you do forget your helmet, please write about it because that would be kinda awesome
-having a bad clip-in at the start and getting gapped at the whistle
-tales of people yelling 'hold your line' even though the guy yelling 'hold your line' has no idea what that means since he hasnt held his line once the entire race
-how sketchy it is...even though its not that sketchy, it just seems like it because people keep yelling hold your line
-getting dropped
-getting pulled
-how hard it is
-how it wasnt as bad as you thought it would be
-winning
That stuff happens.

Had all the bold things happen in recent memory. All but the helmet forget in the last year or two, helmet I last forgot in 2007? We were doing our engagement shoot at the bike race and I was wearing a borrowed helmet (too small) during the race. I got 4th in the state (11th in the race) after doing some off road to avoid a massive stack up in the sprint. I was about 190 lbs I think.

Photo by Matthew J Wagner

I've parked my car in the lot with my field already lined up for the start (made it into the race, NGX training race). I've done well registering 8 minutes before the start (last year, state championships, M45).

I've missed the start because I went to give/get my good luck kiss from the Missus. Got onto the field after Turn One (Tuesday Night Worlds).

One of my last races this year it was 96 deg at the start and I had no bottles. I went for a prime 30 minutes in and then stopped.

Another race I had no gloves. Rode a bit paranoid.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson