BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecommuter13
I saw some good reviews on Bike Peddler Take a Look cycling eyeglass mirror and I bought one.

I have used it a few times now. I don't like it so far. It's especially useless and cumbersome when I going down hill at high speed in street traffic -- I wish the mirror is not in front of my face.

Is it only good for slow and casual biking?
BC, I use the Take A Look, mounted on the temple of my sunglasses, mounted as far forward as possible. Works well for me. Good luck with it, if you keep it.

Originally Posted by cyccommute

The biggest advantage of the helmet mirror to me is that it has little to no vibration even in rough road situations. My head doesn’t bounce around a lot in those situations but my bike does. Handlebar mounted mirrors have aways be blurry to me and so far out of my sight line that I actually have to look away from the road to look at them.

Another issue with bar mounted mirrors is that they are actually limited in terms of field of view in ways that helmet mirrors are not. You are limited to the angle of the mirror on the bars. With a helmet mirror, you can rotate your head and get more than a 180° view behind you…depending on how far you want to sweep your head.
I tried a B&M bar-mounted mirror. I couldn't get a good field of view with it, and it vibrated badly.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I use a helmet mirror more to tell me what traffic looks like behind be before moving lanes than as a notice of impending doom.
That's what it's good for. When I occasionally ride without the mirror, I miss it.