Old 10-30-22, 10:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
One other thing I've thought of is pedaling efficiency. By that I mean only applying force to the pedals tangent to the pedal circle. IME the quickest way to check on that and find any weak spots is to do what's known as FastPedal. On a trainer, or better yet, rollers, put the bike in a very low gear and pedal steadily at 115-120 rpm, starting at 15' and working up to 45', no breaks. Adjust the gearing so that you're in zone 2 while doing that. It's not supposed to create a big training load. When one gets good at it, it's useful for recovery. If you can't hit that rpm without bouncing, just pedal as fast as you can without bouncing. It'll come. I did that every Tuesday for years. Trains the spinal ganglia, helps at all rpm out on the road.

Once I got good at that, I'd only do that until 1 January, then I'd switch to doing 2' intervals of one legged pedaling, alternating legs and alternating cadence between 50-55 and 85, for same length of time as the FastPedal. Since it's only one leg, big training load is not an issue. I'd use a gear that'd have me crying for my mommy after 2'. These are both climbing-specific workouts because of the low crank inertial load which is characteristic of ordinary mortals climbing.