View Single Post
Old 11-19-22, 02:08 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The differences in the tire profile itself aren't going to be significant if you change rim width. However changing rim width to wider might help with the issue of the pads not opening enough and touching the tire when changing the wheel.
This is probably true. I am one of those people who doesn't like a brake that engages with very little lever travel. I went from 700 x 25 to 700 x 28 tires on my Look 595 last year and noticed a big improvement in ride quality on some of the worst roads around Montreal. I have plenty of frame and fork clearance so no problem there. However, even when I fully open my brakes, the new tires hang up on the brake pads during wheel installation. My wheels are 10 year old Campagnolo Shamals with an internal rim width of 15 mm, somewhat like the OP's. A wider rim would probably deal with this minor problem, and I believe that I would still have sufficient clearance. I measured my tire width and my Hutchinson Fusion5 all season tubeless tires measure at almost exactly 28 mm wide. A wider rim effectively increases tire volume, so a narrower tire will pretty much have a larger volume on a wider rim

Last edited by alcjphil; 11-19-22 at 02:57 PM.