Old 03-06-18, 07:30 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
I wax my chains, have been doing it for I don't know how long, probably the last 10 years.

Here's the wax recipe I use. This was published by UltraFast wax a few years back. I found it works better than straight paraffin wax.

1 pound Gulf Paraffin
5g pure Teflon (PTFE) 3-micron powder (From Howard Piano Industries)
1g pure Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) sub-micron powder

I have this mixed in a 1 1/2 qt slow cooker I picked up from Amazon for $9.

For the cleaning routine I do the following:
  1. When the chain needs to be changed due to miles (~250-350 miles depending on the bike) or dirt/rain/snow, I pull out another chain and the one that comes of goes in the parts washer.
  2. When I have enough chains that need waxing, I'll brush down the chains in the parts washer, then collect them for cleaning in the ultrasonic cleaner. My parts cleaner has odorless mineral spirits in it, but it is pretty heavily used and leaves an oily film. I could fix this by using fresh mineral spirits but changing 20 gallons of mineral spirits is a little daunting.
  3. I clean the oily film off the chains I clean them in a 10:1 mix of Simple Green Aircraft cleaner for the longest cycle on the ultrasonic cleaner.
  4. Rinse the chains in hot water to get rid of the Simple Green.
  5. Dry the chains by immersing in denatured alcohol and 90 second run on the ultrasonic.
  6. Let the chains air dry.
Chains that get used on the trainer go straight into the wax.

Now that the chains are clean, I'll put them in the molten wax whenever I have the time. Or when I remember to turn-on the slow cooker. Toss in a chain, let it sit at least 10 minutes, then pull out. Most of the time the chains will be in the wax 1/2 hr to a couple of hours. I'm usually doing other things and will drop in a chain, go keep working whatever else I was working on, pull out the chain next time I go by and drop in another.

When I write this out it sounds involved and time-consuming, but the reality is I'm usually doing both the cleaning and waxing while I'm working on something else. I move the chains around whenever I happen to go by and probably don't spend more than 10 minute total cleaning and waxing 4 chains. I think doing this write-up took longer than I spent cleaning & rewaxing the last batch of chains.

FWIW I have 2 chains for each of my bikes, and use a quick-link to allow me to change them easily. I either have a clean waxed chain waiting to go, or have 1 getting rewaxed. So far the most miles I have on a drivetrain/2 chain combination is 12,000 miles (6k per chain.) Chain wear is edging towards 1/32" now.
I've said it before (probably here) but I'll say it again: What is it about chains that bring out the Rube Goldberg in people? You have a chain that is clean to begin with. The wax will not pick up grit and dirt like oils will. There is no need to use mineral spirits to begin with. Put it in the hot wax and be done with it. No need for a parts washer, no need for washing with Simple Green, no need for rinsing with water or anything else.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!