Old 03-02-19, 05:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Is cycling an expensive hobby?
Originally Posted by SClaraPokeman
The way I look at it, the main cost of cycling is the risk of a serious injury and time spent away from job or family responsibilities (biking can be a relatively time consuming and energy draining activity--ever feel like doing something useful around the house after cycling 50 hard miles?).
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Its more about time being the most valuable thing to compare the different activities of one's life. So hobby versus hobby is the small question and points to the bigger question.

Quality time? One aspect is how one spends it with others as a giving rather than a taking
Nicely said, concerning the cost of time. I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting….

And to a lesser extent, family activities…
Monetary costs were more crucial in my 20’s when I was getting started, yet I did a lot of touring in those years, including a cross-country ride.

Now I budget my cycling time carefully, mainly as a cycle commuter, and I have “expensive” tastes costing a lot of time.
I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides)…
Originally Posted by tsl
…This is the time of year when I'd take my 17-mile long loop to work, and a 13-mile cut of it coming home.

It's not that I chase miles for the sake of numbers. It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over 100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150.
Thanks for this post. I too think gratefully about my commute, and all the variety it presents.

I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage, though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit.
I’m reminded of that quip from the 60’s about smoking dope, “Cycling [dope] will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no cycling."
Originally Posted by SHBR
In terms of equipment, its not too expensive compared to other popular hobbies, such as golf.

In terms of potential injuries, and recovery time, it can be quite expensive depending on the type of injury.
Injury and recovery time is certainly an unexpected expense, though hopefully one is insured for it.
…I was hit from behind in 2012; six weeks in the Hospital, three months off work, with some residual problems, but overall glad with the resolution…could be worse.

Actually I couldn’t wait to get back to cycling.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-02-19 at 05:59 AM.