View Single Post
Old 10-22-19, 10:16 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Aesthetic Fender Opinions

This is probably gonna come off bougie for this sub, but bear with me. I'm getting a bike to use as a commuter, all around fun riding bike, and light touring. I haven't built or bought a new ride in a good ten years, and I didn't even pay enough attention to learn about these so-called gravel bikes or know that road bikes that aren't even cyclocross bikes are being fitted with hydraulic disc brakes! I'm picking up one of these gravel bikes in a dark green color with black components. This being the first build I've done in a decade, I'm kind of springing on the accessories with a honey leather saddle with copper rails and matching bar tape. I've still got a good rack from my poor vintage bike that was never really made to take one. I'm now eyeing fenders.

Can I get some honest opinions on looks here, taking into account being able to functionally use these commuting long term? Cost isn't so much an issue here. Weight is only somewhat an issue.
- Handsome Cycles Hammered Fenders in Copper - $70, Aluminum, 45mm; Pro: copper anodizing would look good with the dark green and copper saddle rails; Con: have to be drilled to put on a separate mud flap, single stay on each fender, maybe TOO attention getting?
- SKS P45 Longboard Fenders - $45, Aluminum core plastic, 45mm; Pro: Well known, tried and true fenders with safety tabs, match black components, already have mud flaps; Con: Some have issues with them cracking, don't look quite as nice as aluminum, heavier than most aluminum fenders
- Planet Bike Cascadia ALX Fenders in Black - $65, Aluminum, 42mm; Pro: Well reviewed, match black components, have safety tabs, already have mud flaps
- Portland Design Works Metal Fenders in Black - $120, Aluminum, 45mm; Pro: Well reviewed, match black components, have safety tabs, already have mud flaps; Con: Single fender stays, Why are they almost twice the price of the Planet Bike fenders?
- Woody's Fenders Wood Compound Curve Fenders - $200, Hardwood (heh) laminates, ~45mm; Pro: Absolutely beautiful, colors of link example coordinate well with the bike; Con: Expensive, may not hold up so well to my abuse, unknown weight at this time, too attention getting?

These are what have caught my eye. Functionally, I think all will do their intended job, but I'm going kind of nuts for aesthetics here. What do y'all think?

Edit: I should add, This Trek ALR 5 is what I have ordered. Unfortunately, my size in that color is on backorder for a bit. That gives me time to spread out purchases on these accessories while I keep riding my old Ciocc to work.

Last edited by Falkon; 10-22-19 at 08:21 PM.