Old 06-02-21, 04:31 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I’d never heard of the suspicion that indoor trainers can cause this, but it seems plausible.
I got a bit interested in a trainer last year because of the situation but then I dropped the idea. But reading up on it, people are concerned with the trainer mount point in connection with pedaling while standing on the bike or even doing sprints on their trainer.

Point is, the trainer keeps the axle mount stiff and if you pedal while standing on your bike, never mind rocking it like people do when going uphill (really trying to rock because the setup allows little of that), it can't be good for the frame ends at the mount points, namely the rear ones.

Trainers were developed for bike training while sitting in the saddle which some people just don't get. Or you can stand up for a bit but don't get the idea that you can go humpty dumpty on pedals while rocking the bars. IMO if I should make a guess, it would be the trainer that did that crack. Really no reason it should happen otherwise in a normal intended use. I doubt if the frame was in warranty period, it would be replaced if the company knew the bike was used on a trainer.

I think people with expensive frames should get some cheaper and sturdier bike for use on a trainer if they want to race it on it. Doesn't most of the touted features of the high end frames count for nothing when used on a trainer anyway? You can start with the frame being aero or having those rough road dampening features and if you gonna test the frame torsional stiffness, that's when you are liable to damage it.

Last edited by vane171; 06-02-21 at 04:39 PM.