View Single Post
Old 11-19-22, 02:54 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
There's an item called screw nails. Old old ones are square nails that were twisted a few turns. Your local cobbler may have them, a quick google search says they are still widely available. My original supply was handed to me by Othon Ochsner Sr. so this is a vintage approved.

I gave up on cleats a while ago and switched to pedal patches. Two ways to do it. Make and locate a rectangle of sole leather that fits between front and rear plates of your quill pedal. Attach that rectangle with barge cement, nails not needed. Or an oversize patch of leather and allow the pedal cage to wear into the leather. I will suggest a short easy ride to make a mark and then encourage the grooves with a piece of sandpaper. Long or hard rides your shoe will slide deeper into the toe clip and the grooves will be too far forward. Either way you do not need a deep or sharp edged pair of grooves.

Edit: That should be your foot will be too forward. The grooves will be too far back.
Thanks for the suggestion of the patches. Sounds like the best solution for how these shoes get used: Vintage rides, walking around before the start, at rest stops, and maybe up a hill. Cleats weren’t designed for those activities. I’m well past the time when I’m worried about pulling a foot out during a sprint so depth of the cleat isn’t an issue. Plus it sounds like replacement of worn patches wouldn’t harm the sole.

and while I didn’t ever get any nails from Oschner Sr., his son did point me to some good restaurants…….