View Single Post
Old 11-19-22, 05:08 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Thanks for the suggestion of the patches. Sounds like the best solution for how these shoes get used: Vintage rides, walking around before the start, at rest stops, and maybe up a hill. Cleats weren’t designed for those activities. I’m well past the time when I’m worried about pulling a foot out during a sprint so depth of the cleat isn’t an issue. Plus it sounds like replacement of worn patches wouldn’t harm the sole.

and while I didn’t ever get any nails from Oschner Sr., his son did point me to some good restaurants…….

Othon had a career as a chef, his son was a gourmand. They knew restaurants.

I still do small sprints and don't pull out. Cannot guarantee you won't. Depth of groove in leather will look like not much, you will feel it and be located. Careful with the sandpaper, most of the wear should be from the pedal. About when it is worn out and ready for replacement it might look like slots. Works about same early and late.

This is an old way of doing it. It was done most everywhere and favored by tourist riders. Another good feature is it sharply reduces wear on cage plates. Back when you could always get another pair of 1037/a and the Lyotards were just stuff it hardly mattered if the cleat chewed up the plate. Now it is nice to see the pedal getting used and not showing it.