Old 10-22-21, 07:17 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
SRMs are $1500 new? Carbon is over 2K. Not sure that's competitive to anything out there.

Yes it can be serviced, but there's no reason this should have gone bad, and it's $400 to fix. Plus whatever they get for a battery now as often as that needs to get done.

They just don't seem as steady as they used to be.

I've been riding time pedals my entire cycling career. I don't really see that changing, since I have a ton of stock on them.
Here's my thing on SRM service. You send it back to get serviced. If the stuff you sent back is not cutting edge then they offer you a significantly discounted price on a new or refurbished unit. I paid $600? $800? for one of my SRMs, just before the rechargeable spiders came out. I paid $900? for the other (Cannondale SI spider) new. And I think $800 for a new track one, rechargeable, after sending in an old wired one to be upgraded. The last one happened to be around Thanksgiving so they gave me a Black Friday price. Adding a PC7 and some other stuff I paid over $1000 for it. They sent me a seat mount for the PC7 on the house (for track use).

Also, they say "it'll be 6 yo 8 weeks". Generally I've gotten my cranks back in 2 weeks. They call a few days after I ship it out, then they ship it back in a day or two, and it takes a day or two to arrive. I was pleasantly shocked each time. I'm not a ProTour rider, I'm not DC Rainmaker, so they have no reason to service me quickly, but they do.

I'd spring for the rechargeable upgrade personally. At that point you're not going to remove the cranks for a few years minimum. I don't know how long those batteries last, but I figure if a phone battery starts to fade after a few years, so will the SRM battery.

I did pass on the PC8. I have PC7s, $200 refurb, I have 3 of them now, seem rock solid. I think the PC8 is $800.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson