View Single Post
Old 03-13-24, 04:10 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 244 Posts
This afternoon we finally had the combination of mild temperatures and light wind that has been so elusive recently.
Not having been out to Concord in awhile, I decided it was time to check out the Reformatory Branch Trail, via the Minuteman and Depot Park. Normally I would choose the Checkpoint for that route, which is really in its element, and a joy to ride, on the RBT. However, considering that nominally this is mud season, and not knowing what to expect, I decided to saddle up the Cannondale hardtail. This also gave me a chance to validate the maintenance (repack hubs and replace brake fluid) I gave that bike the winter.

So, here's my trip report.

Outbound on the MM was quiet, though I did have to yield to a work vehicle near the Lexington Visitor's Center.
No, you go first:

I used the Elm Brook Trail, accessed from South Rd, to get from Depot Park to the RBT. It was in good condition:

You can see there's quite a bit of water in the brook. That was true of all the trailside bodies of water I encountered.

The RBT itself was mostly dry, typically looking like this:

There were however a few spots that made for some fun slithering through the mud:

My turnaround point was at Lowell Rd Concord:

I stopped at Great Meadows National Wildlife Sanctuary on the way back. This view from part way up the observation tower shows how high the water levels are:

(BTW: new bathrooms at Great Meadows are still locked.)

Depot Park is always a welcome milestone on the way home:

I continued home on the MM, availing myself of the restrooms at the Lexington Visitor's Center. There was quite a change in the weather during the last hour of the ride. At 3pm at Great Meadows I was so warm I wished I was wearing shorts and considered peeling off a top layer. By 4pm in Lexington it had cooled so much I closed all my zippers and put my neck gaiter back on.

The round trip was 28 miles, the longest ride for me since December (this was a fact that my butt and knees kept pointing out to me.)

A great afternoon.

Tom

Last edited by bike_tom; 03-13-24 at 04:13 PM.
Likes For bike_tom: