View Single Post
Old 04-22-22, 10:10 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
Well, I unwrapped the mummified in Evapo-Rust-soaked cloth LeTour to find ... very little difference. Certainly not photographable - but it feels slightly less crusty. I think some sandpaper is in the bike's future, but I've talked myself out of repainting it. I hope to find some time this weekend to do some more cleaning, and then begin repacking and reassembling the bike.

I'll be interested in seeing what the brake lever hoods are like under the electrician's tape. I actually have a set of suitable hoods I pulled off the mismatched levers that came on last year's first Clunker Challenge entry, the '86 Cannondale - but they, along with the pedals I think I want to use, are at the back of the storage unit, and probably in the bottom box of the stack. I'll probably spend as much time getting to them and then putting everything back as I'll need to repack all the bearings.

I'm amused when I remind myself I will probably spend more on a set of decent tires for this project than on everything else involved!

No pix today - maybe later ...