Old 04-25-22, 01:00 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Making some headway on the build. I've verified the the wheels are "true enough" - which is a bit of a challenge for me to accept, as they aren't quite what I'd bring them to if I were building them new, but a broken spoke could jeopardize the entire affair.

Dealing with something that's "older" (upon doing a bit of research, I am actually thinking the 30s - 40s date it was sold as may be accurate after all), introduces a few challenges. My stash is by no means immense, but I have just enough stuff to have
no difficulty misplacing things. The storage isn't completely random, but I had to resort to pictures to make sure I was using the correct crank arms, and then I had to find the proper bottom bracket, and then the cups, and then realized that I had not, in fact selected the proper bottom bracket, and then having to break out industrial strength degreaser because special grease that bonds to steel was used, and then finding the proper cotter pins - and after that the nuts to retain them...

Still have a couple days' worth of work (at Z speed) to complete it. My only vise is out in the shed, and it has to be well over 90 degrees in there today, so I am postponing servicing the bearings on the rear hub until a day where I won't be spontaneously transformed into a puddle. I did decide to piece things together just to get an idea of what I'll have when this is built.

The bars need attention, and I hope the 3-speed coaster-brake rear functions, or things could get even more interesting.

Hopefully will get to riding this by the weekend.

Last edited by USAZorro; 04-25-22 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For USAZorro: