terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I don't think any of my seat post bolts have ever rusted... but even if they did, I probably wouldn't swap to stanless or titanium. A seatpost bolt has to hold a lot of weight so that's one place I'd prefer 10.9 or higher grade steel.
Well, that's an M6 bolt. Pretty hefty. Even in stainless, it should have a tensile strength above 10,000 lbs. If that's not enough to keep it from breaking, then I'd question the seatpost design.

Originally Posted by rydabent
It would seem to me that the really expensive components would have stainless steel bolts in the first place.
This is what I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The carbon/steel interface allows for an oxidation-reduction reaction to take place, due to their electrochemical potential difference.
This seatpost design is all steel touching aluminum. The aluminum castings clamp to the carbon post.

Originally Posted by greatbasin
That's a zinc-plated bolt. Is it adjacent or contacting the carbon? Or does it bolt to an aluminum casting?
It's a (presumably) zinc-plated steel, bolted to aluminum castings. It doesn't touch any carbon bits.

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
From looking at their website I think it’s a stainless m5 bolt, can’t find the length called out anywhere.
It's an M6 bolt (non-stainless), actually. 1.0 mm threads, 55 mm long.

I replaced it with this stainless bolt.