Old 12-14-22, 02:00 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’ve played golf 60 years and cycled 20 years. I’ve intentionally avoided measuring the metrics like power and swing speed but definitely track overall results. Interestingly both activities peaked in my mid 50’s. I set lots of PR’s cycling, riding with A groups, etc. I was hitting the golf ball further than ever. I noticed things starting to change in my early 60’s. And even more changes in about 5 year increments afterwards.

However with golf, I’m scoring as well as ever. The improved scoring is probably due to playing so frequently. What I’ve found is I don’t hit the ball as far, but as long as I’m hitting it solid it’s plenty far enough. I have clubs I can use where the ball will still go up to 230 yards so it’s just a matter of hitting a longer club. For me scoring depends on how well I chip and putt, which I’ve gotten really good at. My putting has been ridiculously good at times…..my buddies just laugh at some of the putts I’d make on a regular basis.

Cycling on the other hand has seen some pretty dramatic dips lately. I’ve ridden the least amount this year than in almost the last 20 years and it really shows. It’s hard for me to tell how much of the decline is age related vs just not training like I’ve always done. My goal is to get back to easily riding 60-100 milers on a regular basis. I don’t mind being a little slower, but I just want to be able to finish without struggling. It’s definitely a race against time…..