Old 12-22-22, 11:11 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
These days golfing has very little exercise. It seems a high percentage use golf carts.

I worked with a small group of guys, and we golfed a lot. All of them retired before I did, and they thot when I retired I would resume golfing with them. When I did retire, they had medical problems and always rented a cart. So I took up biking a lot more. All but one of them are younger, and have quit golf because of physical problems. OTOH I still bike 20 to 35 miles every other day at 84, and am in far better health. Conclusion while I am blessed with good health, I contribute a lot of it to the physical exercise of biking. Stepping in and out of a golf cart and walking a few feet is not much exercise at all.
All my doctors are adamanet about keep up my activity level. That is a struggle as arthritis seems to be taking over all my joints, but so far cycling (with regular injections and a very expensive knee brace) remains a mostly daily activity. I have not tested anything past 40 miles lately, but up to that point things are manageable.

I was walking and carrying my clubs until spinal stenosis hit 2 years ago (yet more arthritis - this time in the lumbar area). At this point I honestly don't know if walking/carrying is harmful or not (stenosis is in remission at the moment and I am really afraid of changing that). Neither my doctors or PT's seem confident in their assessment of that risk. What is interesting is that a round of golf on a cart for me is typically around 7500 steps. A round of golf walking with my bag is around 9500 steps. I still prefer walking (even if it is not significantly more exercise) just because.

Congratulations on keeping things up at your level and age!!

dave

dave