pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thread for newbies looking for speed

A lot of newbies come here looking for a recumbent so that they can go faster. Many of them used to race and are looking to get that old speed back. I thought I would create a transparent and honest thread on this specific topic.

Not all recumbents are faster than modern road bikes, and only a handful are faster than modern TT bikes.

These are my main observations.

CdA. You want a bike with a low CdA. Stick bikes with reclined seats are barely lower than TT bikes. European high racers can be significantly lower, and these include M5 carbon and the Optima Baron. The budget option is a Performer High Racer, which is only going to be slower on climbs due to flex and weight. Cruzbike V20 is right in between for CdA, but is nevertheless pretty darn fast.

Wheel size. 700c with fast tires like Conti 5000s are obligatory. Some of the most CdA optimized bikes that are not even practical for on street use have proven slower than dual 700c high racers until you hit 30MPH as a cruising speed. That takes 240-250 watts of energy, and only a minority of serious bikers can sustain that.

Please share your experiences with fast bikes, including those I didn't mention here.