View Single Post
Old 06-23-22, 11:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Last night's ride on the Litespeed, the relative silence of the drivetrain allowed me to hear a *tick,tick,tick* sound, in sync with the wheels. It was not audible at <11 mph, nor at >22. I stopped 3 or 4 times to look for what it could be, running my hands over the tires and rim of both wheels, but mostly the front. Nothing. Plenty of pad clearance, no loose decals, no bits in the tires, no lumps on the tires, nothing on the rim. Eventually, I decided there was nothing compromising the tires or wheels, so I stopped holding back.

At home, I went over the tires as carefully as I could, and all I could find was a small cut, maybe 2-3 mm long, not as deep as the casing. No swelling, no bump, but the cut angled into the rubber so there's a very slight 'flap'. I'm pretty sure that's it. So, the tire is fine, lots of life left in it, but there's an annoying *tick* in the speed range I mostly find myself. I'm wondering whether it might work to Superglue the flap down. Anyone ever tried that?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles