rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Epic Fail and Redemption

Went out to beat a 1.04 mile Strava segment for 65-70 YOs. Had to better an average speed of 24.5. After doing .25 mile with a headwind, could only muster 21-22 MPH and after the mid-point I knew there was no way. The legs don’t have it and probably never will unless there is a very strong tail wind.

BUT! I also had planned a 2.4 mile training climb with most grades ranging from 8 to 15%. So I moseyed over and decided to attack to see how I would do. I was not planning on doing anything special but got inspired at the base of the climb. Heart rate ranged from 165 to 180 but still had a surprising amount of energy over the entire climb. Caveat: this was probably my 10th attempt on this climb. So I hammered it and myself and after summiting I headed over to Rattlesnake lake to cool down and spin before the descent. The cool thing about the descent is that it is easy to hit well over forty except they throw in a stop sign, a 90 degree corner and center of the road guard shelters to dodge around. So the average speed in actuality is 35. Anywho, when I reviewed Strava, not only did I get two PRs but also managed the fastest time by 1:05 (minutes, not hours ) over the next 65-70 YO. To keep my ego humbled, I am/was the 74th fastest male, but I will celebrate being the fastest in my age group anyway. Got a second on another segment on the flip side of the climb which I wasn’t really trying. So now I will have to go back and see if I can take that one too. It’s a sickness. Hello, my name is RSbob and I have a addiction problem. Mileage for the day? Meh. Climb was 1200’.

Mt Si and Snoqualmie River

Rattlesnake Lake

Last edited by rsbob; 08-03-22 at 08:53 AM.
Likes For rsbob: